• Hallo Bezoeker, Het is ons opgevallen dat je nog geen bericht gemaakt hebt! Waarom neem je niet even de tijd om jezelf voor te stellen en nieuwe vrienden te maken.

Godzilla (2014)

Skank

19 feb 2013
Earth
Een review: http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/12449/godzilla3d2014.html

The Video: Sizing Up the Picture3D -- 4.0 stars

'Godzilla - 3D' (2014) tears onto Blu-ray 3D with a strong MVC-MPEG 4 encode framed in the film's original 2.40:1 aspect ratio.

After watching the 2D version theatrically and on Blu-ray (see below), 'Godzilla - 3D' was a bit of a surprise. First, this is a strong 3D post-conversion. While there aren't any pop-out 3D effects and 3D isn't essential to the story (this 3D is not as good as, say, 'Pacific Rim'), I have to admit I was struck by the stunning amount of depth. Even in murkier moments where the monsters are shrouded in digital atmosphere effects, the 3D presentation was clear and releastic, offering that window into another worldfeeling. Also, despite an intential layering in the visual design -- placing humans in the foreground -- these elements didn't feel flat. The nighttime sequences were gorgeous and the daytime material even better.

However, the one problem the 3D version has over its 2D counterpart is slightly gray black levels. While you can see everything during the film's two major night sequences, those with 16:9 displays may be dismayed to see the letterbox black bars aren't a true black. And, yes, I double checked my settings, even going so far as to compare 'Godzilla - 3D' to 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier - 3D' which looked fine. When I adjusted brightness and contrast levels to darken the black bars, the image crushed heavily, so I opted to keep my display's settings as they were. Also, when you compare the 3D Blu back to back with the 2D version, it's night and day; demonstrating how inky-perfect the black levels are in 2D.

Overall, 'Godzilla - 3D' looks pretty great in the home theatre, with the 3D effects adding a immersive sense of scale and scope to an already grand production. Another plus, apparent resolution, color reproduction, and general brightness match its 2D sibling. However, at least on my equipment, black levels are compromised, coming in at a very dark gray rather than a true black. Still, if you're a fan of 3D, it's a small compromise (and might go unnoticed if you have a constant height projection setup) for strong post-conversion.

2D -- 4.5 stars

'Godzilla' (2014) stomps onto Blu-ray with an excellent AVC-MPEG 4 encode framed in the film's original 2.40:1 aspect ratio.

While the film's palette grows increasingly monotone (and grim), color reproduction and skin tones remain vibrant and accurate. Detail and resolution are available in spades -- you can see every spec of dirt and debris. And though I might argue some of the film's visual effects looked more realistic in cinemas than they do on home video, the monster designs are pretty wicked from Godzilla's scales to the MUTOs glowing red eyes.

There is one potential issue, a thing our readers might be arguing about for some time. Overall light levels. Key sequences in Hawaii and San Francisco are exceptionally dark. I don't know how it will look in 3D Blu-ray, but those with improperly calibrated displays, or those with displays prone to reflecting too much light, might mistake the darkness for bad image quality. However, it seems like an intentional choice to me (one of the film's rules is that the MUTOs knock out power with natural EMPs), but could be a problem for some viewers in certain lighting conditions. I started watching during the late afternoon on my Panny plasma, but had to wait until after dark to finish the climax.

At this point, it's hard to determine if this is a mistake worth knocking off points, or just a movie that you should not watch during the day (or with too much ambient light). I was personally able to enjoy the film without having to adjust my display, and the amount of depth within black levels is damned impressive. This might be the darkest Blu-ray I own next to something like 'The Descent', and even in these scenes where CGI monsters keep flickering into view via lightning strikes or partially hidden by digital debris clouds, I couldn't see any errors. Some lesser displays will band heavily, but other than one or two minor instances, this is a strong encode with little-to-no digital errors.

So let's see what some other reviewers, and you readers, have to say. Let us know in the comments. Best dark scenes ever, or Warners totally messed it up?

The Audio: Rating the SoundWhile the video quality might have an issue, 'Godzilla' (2014) roars onto Blu-ray with a reference quality 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio surround mix.

It's no surprise sound designer Erik Aadahl worked on this impressive soundtrack. From Alexander Desplate's ominous musical score to the aggressively panned auditory carnage of flying debris and destruction to the thunderous LFE of monstrous creatures colliding in a fight to the death, this is a track that delivers on all levels. One that will wake up any native 7.1 system and push you to keep turning the volume as close to reference as your ears can stand it.

My only complaint with this track is that it's not the first Dolby Atmos Blu-ray, because 'Godzilla' sounded even better theatrically with extensive use of the overhead speakers to widen the soundstage (I felt chills when the King roared for the first time). While that mix was incredible, and will be missed, audiophiles are going to love this Blu-ray.

Doet me weer verlangen om hem eens in 3d te zien.

Laatst bewerkt door een moderator:

Squeek

11 nov 2013
Ziet er interessant uit toch? Dit weekend ga ik hem halen se. Best wel benieuwd naar de film

Skank

19 feb 2013
Earth
Absoluut, ik wacht nog even je reactie af

Squeek

11 nov 2013
Ik zal eens naar de mediamarkt bollen se

Squeek

11 nov 2013
Hebbes, 26 euro wel dus it better be good!

Ondertussen netflix aan de praat gekregen dus kijk ik daar naar, godzilla gaat er tegen 20 uur in dus rond half elf weet je het wel
263a.png

Skank

19 feb 2013
Earth
Haha ok benieuwd! vooral wat 3dbetreft he

Squeek

11 nov 2013
Zo, net bekeken. Eerste en vooral, ik vond het echt wel een goeie film. Was best verrast, verhaal stak 'geloofwaardig' ineen, in hoeverre dat kan, visueel knap, erg vet geluid
263a.png
deze zie ik zeker nog eens als mijn 7.1 opgesteld is want had nu wel enkele scenes kiekevel. Was zijn geld wel waard voor in de collectie te hebben.

Dan het 3D gedeelte, ik moet eerlijk zijn dat het geen toegevoegde waarde had op zich. Er zijn geen pop out fx, enkel diepte in het beeld en niet overdreven veel. Wat me wel opvalt met dergelijke films in 3D is dat het 3D zelf een deel ten goede komt van de cg. Alsof het wat realistischer oogt. Dat heb ik wel vaker bij 3D films. Het kwam de sfeer van de film wel te goede, ik had meer dat gevoel erin getrokken te worden. Maar het effect op zich was geen demo waardig, dat niet. Gelukkig waren de donkere scenes perfect volgbaar en niet vermoeiend.

skoebiedoe

Home-Theater Goud
19 feb 2013
Heb hem ook juist gekeken en vond het eerder een mager Japans vertellingske...Godzilla tegen de rest..kon mij niet echt overtuigen op gebied van verhaallijn..

Skank

19 feb 2013
Earth
Squeek zei:
Zo, net bekeken. Eerste en vooral, ik vond het echt wel een goeie film. Was best verrast, verhaal stak 'geloofwaardig' ineen, in hoeverre dat kan, visueel knap, erg vet geluid
263a.png
deze zie ik zeker nog eens als mijn 7.1 opgesteld is want had nu wel enkele scenes kiekevel. Was zijn geld wel waard voor in de collectie te hebben.

Dan het 3D gedeelte, ik moet eerlijk zijn dat het geen toegevoegde waarde had op zich. Er zijn geen pop out fx, enkel diepte in het beeld en niet overdreven veel. Wat me wel opvalt met dergelijke films in 3D is dat het 3D zelf een deel ten goede komt van de cg. Alsof het wat realistischer oogt. Dat heb ik wel vaker bij 3D films. Het kwam de sfeer van de film wel te goede, ik had meer dat gevoel erin getrokken te worden. Maar het effect op zich was geen demo waardig, dat niet. Gelukkig waren de donkere scenes perfect volgbaar en niet vermoeiend.
volledig mee eens. idem voor 3d vond ik ook. Vandaar dat ik hem 2de keer bekeek en dan eigenlijk tot de conclusie kwam dat de 2d nog beter is. iik hou het voorlopig op 2d

Squeek

11 nov 2013
Deze week een stukje gezien in 7.1. Wat een soundeffects. Het stukje op de brug wanneer de twee soldaten aan het verkennen zijn en plots op de MUTO uitkomen is erg vet!

Skank

19 feb 2013
Earth
Wat prefereer je nu voor deze film? 2d of 3d?

Squeek

11 nov 2013
Geen van beide, enkel is de 3D versie niet echt wauw.